- “In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. ” – Matthew 5: 16
Just as Jesus taught us to love one another, here at Good Shepherd the ministry of helping others is a very important part of what we are all about. We are blessed with many shepherds who recognize those in need in our community. They do not hesitate to get involved and create opportunities for each of us to give back, care for others and share our many blessings.
Whether we are bringing in food to help the less fortunate, visitng with those in nursing homes, serving the homeless, colecting food or gifts for those in need or working together on a number of fund raisers to enable our ability to help our brothers and sisters, we ourselves are blessed with the joy that comes from sharing God’s love.
Good Shepherd has a very active Outreach Program. Among those organizations and groups that we have helped and/or continue to support are the following:
- REACH-Rochester Emergency Action Committee for the Homeless
- Back Pack Program in partnership with Immanuel Lutheran Church to help local needy stuents
- RAIHN-Rochester Area Interfaith Hospitality Network–helping host
homeless families at St. Pau’s Episcopal Church
- Grace House Ministry
- A Meal & More
- The Webster Food Cupboard
- Sanctuary Village
- Crop Walk
- Webster Council of Churches
- Adopt-A-Classroom (School #9 & School #8)
- Zion Episcopal Church, Avon NY
- Zion House (transitional housing for female vets)
- Big Brother, Big Sister Programs
- Hope Hall, Rochester NY
- Sanctuary Village Dinner, Rochester NY, April ‘15
- House of Mercy, Rochester NY
- Cameron Community Ministries, Rochester NY
- Judicial Process Ministries, Rochester NY
- Webster Comfort Care Home
- Hearts in Motion (Guatemalian Mission)
- Pines of Peace Hospice Home
- Wayne County Rural Ministry
- Come Unity Center, Williamson NY
- Honor Flight Rochester
In order to raise money, Good Shepherd will hold bake sales, flower sales during the year and a chicken barbeque each month in the spring and summer. In addition, the Outreach Committee runs an fun-filled annual evening event, Night of the Heart (or Night of the Shamrock) featuring a host of delicious desserts, fabulous live music and a treasure filled live and silent auction. Not only does it raise significant funding for Outreach, it is a wonderful night of fellowship for the Good Shepherd family and visitors.
For more information and to get involved, you can contact Yvonne Arnold.
Of course, we also have a very important “inreach” called our Meal Ministry where we team up to provide a homecooked meal to a member of our Church family who is ill or dealing with the loss of a loved one. Fo more information on how to help with Meal Ministry, please contact Joyce White or Ann Duke.